Thursday, May 20, 2010

Johnny Angel and Those Eggs

Today started much more smoothly than did yesterday.

Now that my eyes have learned how to quickly skim an order sheet, I know what those Devilishly [Good] Deviled Eggs were for:

Johnny Angel and the Swingin' Demons
at one of Birmingham's more beautiful locations, where DCT exclusively caters.

Before the cooking and prepping began, SC apologized for and explained yesterday.

SC asked if I was much of a pastry person.
"No... I passed the required pastry class with an A, but I don't care so much for it."
"Well, we're going to dip our toes in it today."
So, we made Gougeres.

Cooking the flour, water and butter.

Once we mixed in the Parmesan, we piped 120 of them with a star tip. Wrap. Label. Color. Freezer.

The next task was to prepare all the fixings for a mashed potato bar for 375 guests and another mashed potato and grits bar for a total of 250 guests.

My job: slice the green onion.

1.5 (post-slice) gallons later, I was finished.
Cover. Label. Color. Cooler.

Mashed potato bars need mashed potatoes....so we peeled and cut up (estimating) 200lbs of potatoes.
Cover. Label. Color. Cooler.


PC was swamped, so we went to assist her where possible.
I cut 85 rounds of German chocolate cake out of a sheet pan for her to decorate.

Do not let this picture deceive you. This is not the final product. When they go to a wedding at the event house I wanted to "some day" get married at (until I saw the price tag), they will be decorated very elegantly.

Finally, we took the leftovers from the German chocolate cake and mixed those with buttercream frosting and rolled those into 90 gooey balls to be dipped chocolate and made to look even prettier and cuter than the ones below. (We followed the same method with white cake)


"Okay, this is going to get old for you," said SC.
"Would you like to help us cater a dinner Saturday night? See it all put together? Help with the art of it all?"

YES!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having a blast with your internship, Laura! I'm looking forward to hearing all the delicious details next week. :-)

    ReplyDelete